CLAT Application Form filling is compulsory for students wishing admissions in any of the law programs available in the National Law Universities. The eligibility of candidates for CLAT is the completion of 10+2 or equivalent examinations from a recognized board with English as a subject. This article will give you an idea about how to fill the application form for the exam and the common mistakes that are to be avoided.
Steps for filling CLAT application forms:
Step 1: Register online for CLAT
Before filling out the CLAT application form, candidates are supposed to register for the exam on the official website. Personal details such as name and date of birth, address, etc. among many others are to be provided here. An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number and the account can be activated using it. Create a new password to use whenever you login to the account.
Step 2: Filling Application form for CLAT
The next step is to fill the CLAT application form. Here, the candidate should provide the following details:
- Name, date of birth, and gender
- Parents’ names and details
- Test city of choice
- Educational qualifications
- Email ID
- Contact number etc.
After filling in, the candidate can review the form and edit it before submitting, if there is something not to their liking. Once satisfied with all the correct details filled in, they can submit the forms.
Step 3: Uploading Photograph and Signature
The next step is to upload the candidates’ photo and signature, which will appear on their CLAT application form. For this, the candidate has to keep scanned copies of both ready, according to the requirements. The maximum sizes and the formats in which the photograph and signature are to be submitted is predetermined, as follows:
|Photo (coloured or black and white)
|10 KB to 200 KB
|4 KB to 30 KB
Step 4: Paying CLAT Application Fee
In this next step, the candidate can select how to pay the CLAT application fee. Different methods such as Net Banking and UPI payment are available. Candidates can also pay the fee using a credit card, debit card, etc. The application fee differs according to the category of the candidate as listed below:
- General/ OBC/ PwD: Rs. 4000
- SC/ ST/ BPL: Rs. 3500
Step 5: Downloading the Confirmation Page
After paying the application fee successfully, the candidate can either print or download the Confirmation Page that pops after a successful transaction. Things to keep in mind are:
- If the transaction has failed, the confirmation page would not pop up and if money has been debited from the candidate’s bank account, it would be refunded immediately to their account.
- If the confirmation page does not pop up even after the payment gateway says successful transaction, then it means the payment has failed. The candidate will then have to do the payment procedure again.
Step 6: Printing the Application Form
Candidates are given an “auto-generated Application Number”, after successful payment of the fee. Once the fee is paid, the candidate can no longer make edits in their CLAT application form. After saving a copy of the form, the candidates need to take a printout of the same and keep it safe.
Things to Remember
There are a few things to be kept in mind while filling the CLAT application form, to avoid mistakes:
- The application form is to be filled only in English.
- The name of the candidate is to be filled in the same way as it appears on the candidate’s class 10th certificate.
- The photograph to be uploaded should preferably be a color photo taken recently, with a white background.
Thus, filling the CLAT application form online or offline will make you eligible to write the CLAT exam. To check out the preparation strategy for CLAT, take a look here.