When we talk about the best Universities in India, it is impossible to not take the name of the infamous Jamia Millia Islamia. Known as JMI in short, it is a centrally run University which was established during the1920s. Over the years it has grown into one of the biggest Indian universities that provides numerous courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, as well as Phd level. This article is going to focus on helping you secure a seat in JMI by providing you with a careful three year analysis of the JMI entrance exam paper for admissions into Bachelor’s in Commerce, or Bcom ( Honours) degree.
For admission into a Bcom degree in JMI, you have to go through a few rounds of selection process which entails the JMI Entrance Exam, which are followed by the given rounds. Refer to the useful table below to understand the selection process better:
|Entrance Exam (Objective), Written (Subjective/Descriptive Exam), Personal Interview, Group Discussion Round, Portfolio||50% (combined scores of all rounds)|
|12th Board Marks||50%|
Over the years, the JMI Entrance exam has retained its syllabus, timings and pattern, however, some changes have been noted which is important to educate yourself before you give the upcoming exam. Given below is last three years, i.e, 2017 to 2019’s exam analysis:
|Duration||1 Hour 45 Minutes||1 Hour 45 Minutes||1 Hour 45 Minutes|
|Mode||Offline (Pen – Paper Based)||Offline (Pen – Paper Based)||Offline (Pen – Paper Based)|
|No. of Questions||100||100||100|
|Marking Scheme||+1 for correct answer, -0.25 for incorrect attempt||+1 for correct answer, -0.25 for incorrect attempt||+1 for correct answer, -0.25 for incorrect attempt|
|Overall Difficulty Level||Moderate||Moderate – Difficult||Moderate – Difficult|
|Timings and Shifts||On: 19/05/17||On: 01/06/18||On: 15/06/19|
Some changes over the years
- The mode of examination was offline pen-paper based as usual. But for the 2020 exam, students will be able to take the exam from the comfort of their homes due to the ongoing pandemic.
- The entrance exams have been postponed.
- Students will need to complete 100 Questions in 1hour and 30 minutes now, as opposed to 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- There are no changes in terms of the syllabus of the examination. There will be 4 sections as per normal, which are Language Skills, General Awareness, Reasoning Ability, and lastly, Numerical Ability. All of the sections will have equal weightage each, and each contain 20 marks, except General Awareness section which has the highest weightage, i.e 40 marks.
- There is -0.25 negative marking for every wrong attempt and +1 for every correct answer.
- All the questions will be Objective (MCQ) type.
JMI Bcom Entrance Exam 2019 Analysis
- The exam was conducted on 15th June 2019.
- The time to complete the exam was the same, i.e 1 hours and 45 minutes. Students were able to complete their exam on time.
- The maximum marks for the exam was 100, and 100 questions needed to be done. There was -0.25 negative marking for the wrong attempts.
- The exam was Objective type.
- The exam difficulty was found to be moderate but students did encounter some questions in the Quantitative section, as well as the Reasoning to be difficult and tricky. The section on Language skills had easy to do questions, which tested the basic knowledge of the students.
- Overall the exam was of moderate difficulty level.
Language Skills Section Analysis
Students found the section to be the easiest of all as it was well along the lines of previous year’s exam pattern and had questions which all students must have practiced before the entrance. The maximum marks in the section were allotted to reading comprehension, and other important topics like vocabulary, sentence replacement, etc, could be found in the exam. We would suggest students to not miss preparing for the English section at all, as it has very scoring questions in the exam which can increase your overall marks in the entrance. Given below is a list of topics that you must practice:
- Reading Comprehension
- Fill in the Blanks .
- Sentence replacement
- Identification of Errors
- Idioms and Phrases
- Para jumbles
- Syntax, etc.
General Awareness Section Analysis
Students found the section to be easy as a lot of recent general affairs questions were asked. They also found that some important topics that could be found in the exam were related to knowing the full forms of organisations, eminent personalities, important UN bodies, Awards and Honours, etc. Read the following topics for your next CUET Bcom exam:
- General affairs
- Static GK
- Full forms of important Indian as well as Foreign organisation
- Heads of famous companies and institutions
- News on Economy and the realm of Commerce
- News in the areas of sports, geography, politics,etc.
- Eminent Personalities
- Awards and Honours
- News on Environment, etc.
Pro Tip: This section holds the maximum weightage, which means that you cannot skip preparing for it! Use newspaper apps, as well as current affair apps on your mobile to be abreast with the latest news around the globe and make sure to revise them from time to time for better memory retention.
Logical Reasoning Section Analysis
The Logical and Analytical Reasoning section of JMI’s 2019 Bcom exam had the same pattern and difficulty levels as the past exams. However, some questions were too easy according to the students. The syllabus was the same as of the last year and overall the section was easy to moderate in the difficulty level. It holds the maximum weightage in the exam and should be studied thoroughly to get a great score in. Study the following topics carefully for 2020’s exam:
- Visual Reasoning
- Blood Relations
- Direction and Distance
- Coding and Decoding
- Reasoning and Assumptions, etc.
Pro Tip: If you find difficulty in solving any of the questions in the exam, it is better to leave it than to attempt it. Every incorrect attempt has negative marking, which can hamper your overall score. Answer wisely!
Numerical Ability Section Analysis
This section also had some difficult questions which students struggled at, especially those who did not take Mathematics in their school. The overall level remained at moderate to difficult levels. Not all questions were hard, but there were also a good number of questions which everyone could attempt easily. Students should make it a point to leave the difficult questions for the end as the exam has five other sections to be completed in time as well. Given below are some important topics that you should pay attention to for the upcoming exam:
- Simple and Compound interest
- Time and Work
- Profit and Loss
- Time, Speed and Distance
- Series and Sequences
- Coordinate Geometry
- Quadratic Equation,etc.
Pro Tip: You can take help of your Mathematics books from school as almost every undergraduate entrance section of maths has topics taken from them. Your basic understanding of the concepts is tested. You can even take help of Help books which come with multiple Mock tests which will help you to practice and improve your Maths skills!
As great as Jamia Millia Islamia is for its quality education, it is equally difficult to secure a seat in their college, as only 55 seats are available to be filled for Bcom (Honours) course! This means that you need to strategize and study hard to make a mark in the entrance exam. We hope that the above analysis helps you and takes you one step closer to your selection in JMI. All the best!