JMI Entrance Exam for B Com is one of the popular exams for pursuing B.com in India. Jamia Millia Islamia holds a good position among the best universities in India. It was established in the 1920s, known in short as JMI, a centrally run university. Over the years it has been one of India’s largest universities with various degrees, graduates, and Ph.D. courses. This article will help secure your JMI seat by offering a careful three-year review of the JMI entrance exam for Bcom (Honours).
To be admitted as a Bcom student at JMI, you must take the JMI Entrance exam through a few rounds of selection, followed by the rounds indicated. See the table below for a clearer understanding of the selection process:
|Entrance Examination, Written Examination, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview, Portfolio Round||50%|
|12th Class Board Marks||50%|
Some Changes in JMI B Com Entrance Exam Over Past Years
- The exam was conducted usually in offline pen-paper mode. However, following the COVID-19 Pandemic, students can give the exam from their homes using the Online Platform in the year 2020.
- Till further informed by the authorities the Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance Exam for B.Com is Postponed.
- The time limit of the examination is reduced from 1 hour 45 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. During this time frame students have to solve 100 questions.
- No modifications have been made in the Exam Curriculum. Paper will consist of 4 sections which will be English Language Skills, Logical and Reasoning, General Knowledge and Numerical Skills. Each section has been assigned the equal weightage, and total marks for each section is 20. The General Knowledge section is of 40 marks and has the highest percentage of weightage.
- Every correct answer, +1 marks will be awarded, while for every incorrect answer, there is a negative marking of -0.25.
- All the questions asked in the JMI Entrance examination will be of Multiple Choice Patten.
Section Wise Analysis
English Language Skills Section
This section is generally the easiest section of the JMI entrance exam. The section was easy, with most of the questions pertaining to reading comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary. The question pattern included filling in the blanks, substitutions of words, correction of sentences, and identification of errors. It tested students’ knowledge and understanding of grammar and its rules and syntaxes. The topics that were covered in this section of the exam were:
- Identification of Errors
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence replacement
- Fill in the Blanks
- Para jumbles
- Idioms and Phrases
- Syntax, etc.
Logical Reasoning Section
The logical reasoning section of the JMI entrance exam was moderate in the difficulty level. Some of the questions needed complete attention as it was easy to misinterpret the questions and get the answers wrong. Students noted that some questions of this section were more time taking than the others. So the candidates who had practiced doing similar questions and who had improved in their time management found the section to be easier. To avoid such situations for your exam, we would suggest you practice questions on topics that require time in completion like series, arrangements, syllogism, etc. The following are some of the topics covered in this part of the exam:
- Coding and Decoding
- Blood Relations
- Visual Reasoning
- Direction and Distance
- Reasoning and Assumptions, etc.
General Knowledge section
This section was easy for the students who are generally updated with current affairs. Others found it a little tough. Questions were asked regarding national and international events that took place in the past year. Some general questions about history and science were also asked. The topics of current affairs asked are as follows:
- Awards and Honours
- General affairs
- Full forms of influential Indian as well as Foreign organisation
- Eminent Personalities
- Static GK
- Heads of famous companies and institutions
- News affairs in the field of sports, geography, politics, etc.
- News on Economy and the realm of Commerce
- News on Environment, etc.
Numerical Skills Section
While this section of the JMI entrance exam was just like the previous year’s in its difficulty level, students found that while the overall section was found to be moderate level, there were few questions in the section which were hard to do, and posed a challenge for the students. The rest of the section had moderate levels of questions from a lot of topics from higher secondary classes. A lot of questions were based on Arithmetic. It is very important for students to get a good look at the syllabus for the exam and prepare according to it. Every concept should be understood and practiced. The important topics covered by this section included:
- Time, Speed and Distance
- Simple and Compound interest
- Time and Work
- Series and Sequences
- Profit and Loss
- Coordinate Geometry
- Quadratic Equation
- Statistics, etc.
As wonderful as Jamia Millia Islamia is, it is not easy to secure a seat at its college for its quality education. Only 55 seats are assigned for Bcom (Hon.) courses in the University. So you have to aspire to make a mark in the entrance exam and study hard. We hope that the analysis above will support you and bring you closer to your JMI Entrance Exam selection. If you are interested, check out the exam analysis of the JMI Entrance Exam here.
All the best for the Exam!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
More Articles Aout JMI BCom: