SET Mass Communication 2019 was the entrance exam to the SCMC, short for Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication. True to its name, it is one of the best institutes in India which offer specialised courses in Mass Communication. They are well known for their quality of education, and boast of a talented and experienced faculty.
Every year SIU conducts a national level entrance exam called SET-A/ General (Symbiosis Entrance Exam) to admit students into various undergraduate courses into various Symbiosis Institutes. This article is going to discuss the SET Mass Communication 2019 exam pattern, syllabus and analysis of last three year’s SET-A entrance exam paper for admission into Bachelor of Mass Communication at the SCMC. Given below is the selection process for selection into the BA(H) in Mass Communication:
|Selection Process||Weightage of each stage|
|Writing Ability Test (WAT)||25%|
|Personal Interview (PI)||25%|
|Selection will be based on combined scores||Total scores in all|
There have been some changes in syllabus, exam pattern and time of the SET Mass Communication 2019 over the years which is worth noting for the applicants who are going to appear in the upcoming SET exams. We have made a table depicting the changes in the previous year’s SET exams for you:
|Changes (If any)||2017||2018||2019|
|Duration||2.5 Hours||2.5 Hours||2.5 Hours|
|Mode||Offline||Online Computer Based||Online Computer Based|
|No. of Questions||150||150||150|
|Marking Scheme||+1 for correct answer, no negative marking||+1 for correct answer, no negative marking||+1 for correct answer, no negative marking|
|Overall Difficulty Level||Moderate||Easy – Moderate||Moderate|
|Timings and Shifts||On : 06/05/2017||On : 05/05/2018||On : 04/05/2019|
Some basic changes in SET Mass Communication over the years
- SET Mass Communication exam has been conducted in an offline mode , however since 2018, it has been conducted in an online computer based mode.
- The SET 2020 exam has been delayed and scheduled for 18th and 19th July in three different slots.
- Students will need to complete 32 MCQ questions, and one essay for WAT in 40 minute for SET 2020.
- There are no changes in terms of the syllabus of the SET Mass Communication 2019. There will be 4 sections as per normal, which are General English, Quantitative Aptitude, Analytic and Logical Ability, and lastly, General Awareness. All sections have weightage of 7 marks each.There is no negative marking for wrong attempts.
- All the questions will be Objective (MQC) type.
- The SET Mass Communication can be given from the comfort of your home, due to the recent restrictions posed by the Covid-19 Pandemic.
SET Mass Communication 2019 Analysis
Symbiosis International University conducts SET exam every year to admit students into various undergraduate courses offered at their colleges. Over the years, the SET Mass Communication exam has gone through many changes. The SET Mass Communication 2019 was conducted in an online fashion for the second time since 2018. The syllabus has not gone under any changes and the pattern of the question paper has also remained the same.
Basic highlights of SET Mass Communication 2019 exam
- SET Mass Communication 2019 exam was conducted on 4th April 2019.
- The time to complete the exam was the same, i.e 2.5 hours and students were able to complete their exam on time.
- The maximum marks for the exam was 150, and 150 questions needed to be done. There was no negative marking for the wrong attempts, as per usual.
- The exam was Objective type.
- The SET Mass Communication difficulty was found to be moderate but students did encounter some questions in the Quantitative section tricky, but overall the section was on the lines of the previous year in type of questions and difficulty.
- Overall the SET Mass Communication 2019 was of moderate difficulty level.
- The English section was found to be the most scoring.
1. English Section Analysis
This year’s English section of the SET Mass Communication 2019 was of easy difficulty level. The section was predominated by questions on Reading Comprehension and Grammar. Students did not face any issues while attempting the questions as they were easy and could be completed fast. Apart from testing students on their knowledge of Vocabulary and Grammar, it also contained some questions on Proverbs, Prepositions, etc. Given below are some important topics which will be asked in the upcoming exams:
- Reading Comprehension
- Grammar – Parts of speech, Voice of speech, Conditionals, etc.
- Sentence correction
- Identification of Errors
- Idioms and Phrases
- Reasoning Deduction
- Syntax, etc.
2. Quantitative Section Analysis
Students found a lot of questions based on Data Interpretation in 2019’s paper and much to their relief, they were easy to attempt. The overall level of the section of the SET Mass Communication 2019 was moderate. While maximum questions were easily solvable, there were some questions which took more time to complete than the others, for eg, the questions on Data Sufficiency were difficult to answer. Students are advised to study for the maths section from their school textbooks as most of the questions are based on them. Given below are some important topics that should be covered in order to score great marks in this section:
- Set Theory
- Permutation and Combination
- Ratio and Proportions
- Number Series
- Data Interpretation
- Data Sufficiency
- Time and Work
- Geometry and Mensuration, etc.
3. Logical and Analytical Reasoning Section Analysis
This section of the SET Mass Communication 2019 was moderate in its difficulty level and remained easier than last year’s exam. The section had all sorts of questions that one might expect to be given in the exam. A lot of questions were found to be doable in time except some which were lengthy and required more than average time spent on each question. Students are suggested to practice for this section adequately so that less amount of time is lost doing the lengthy questions. Go through some important topics below:
- Arrangements and Puzzles
- Course of Action
- Blood Relation
- Linear Equations
- Coding and Decoding, etc.
4. General Awareness Section Analysis
This section of the SET Mass Communication 2019 can be tricky, as it all depends on the level of your preparation. The difficulty level was moderate to difficult, and some questions had the students guessing for the answers. A lot of questions were based on general knowledge, and 2019’s paper saw a considerable number of questions revolving around science and discoveries. In Fact there was also a question which tested the knowledge of Logos of students. The tip to do great in this section is to always be abreast with the current affairs from the past 6 months and revise them nicely so that you remember them during the exam. Some important areas to cover for this section are:
- General affairs
- News in the areas of sports, geography, politics,etc.
- Eminent Personalities
- Science and latest developments
- National Awards and Honours
- News on Environment, etc.
SET Mass Communication exams are generally easy to score if studied efficiently. You should focus on covering all the topics, and revising them nicely. Every exam requires a great strategy which is made according to the previous year’s pattern. We hope that the above SET Mass Communication 2019 analysis helps you plan your preparation for the upcoming SET exams better and takes you one step closer to getting a seat in the SCMC Institute. If you are interested, check out the article about the SET Analysis 2020. All the best!