Bombay High Court wants assessment of color change in Lonar lake
Bombay High court wants an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of Lonar lake due to its recent color change to pink
Lonar lake is a National Geo-Heritage monument as is protected by Geological Survey of India
It is an eco-sensitive zone because it has the Ejecta Blanket that is made up of material similar to lunar material
Quick Fact: The saline, soda Lonar Lake, created due to an asteroid’s collision with Earth during the Pleistocene epoch, is located in Maharashtra
Average temperature in India to rise by 4.4 degree Celsius by 2100 as per government report
The report called “Assessment of Climate Change over Indian Region” has been released by Ministry of Earth Sciences
Heat Waves will increase by 3 to 4 times
As per the report, temperature will increase due to an increase in Representative Concentration Pathway (RCP) which calculates climate forcing.
Quick Fact: Climate forcing is the difference between sunlight absorbed and the energy radiated back by the earth.
World Competitive Index published by Institute for Management Development
India is ranked at the 43rd position.
India’s consistent low rank is due to poor infrastructure and low investment in education.
Top positions have been secured by Singapore, Denmark, Switzerland, Netherlands and Hong Kong
UNCTAD releases World Investment Report 2020
As per the report:
- India is the 9th largest recipient of FDI in 2019.
- Investments in digital sector of India were most promising
- Due to the corona pandemic, global FDI inflows will decrease by 40% in 2020 as compared to the previous financial year
Quick Fact: United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland
India set to face its worst recession due to corona pandemic
As per RBI, India has faced four recessions after 1947:
- In 1958 due to Balance of Payment crisis
- In 1966 due to wars with China and Pakistan and a subsequent drought
- In 1973 due to energy crisis caused by an oil embargo by Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries
- In 1980 due to BoP crisis caused by an oil crisis (the result of Iran revolution and war between Iran and Iraq)
Quick Fact: Recession is a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, identified by a decrease in GDP in two successive quarters.
6.India and the World
India to supply Pneumonia Vaccine to low-income nations
Pune’s Serum Institute of India has signed an agreement to provide 10 million Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines to low income countries every year
This will be done in partnership with UNICEF and GAVI
Pneumonia is the leading cause of death among children globally.