1.India and the World
India will host G20 Summit in 2023
The G20 is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union (EU).
Its aim is to discuss policy pertaining to the promotion of international financial stability
The host countries for future summits will be:
- 2020: Saudi Arabia
- 2021: Italy
- 2022: Indonesia
- 2023: India
- 2024: Brazil
Quick Fact: G20, or Group of 20 was established in 1990
2.Science and Technology
Five technologies recommended by the Technical Committee of Jal Jeevan Mission
A multi-disciplinary Technical Committee set up under the Jal Jeevan Mission has recommended five technologies to provide field level solutions to the states. These technologies are:
- Grundfos AQpure: It is a solar energy-based ultra-filtration water treatment plant.
- Janajal Water on Wheel: It is an Internet on Things-based, GPS-enabled technology for doorstep delivery of safe water.
- Presto Online Chlorinator: It disinfects water and removes bacterial contamination using a non-electricity dependent online chlorinator.
- Johkasou Technology:It uses advanced anaerobic-aerobic configuration for inbuilt water treatment
- FBTec: It is a decentralized sewage treatment system.
Quick Fact: The Jal Jeevan Mission aims to provide household tap water connection to every household by 2024.
Shillong’s India-International Cherry Blossom Festival Cancelled
The Meghalaya government holds the Cherry Blossom Festival in early November every year.
This year’s festival has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
It is the only Cherry festival being conducted in India.
Quick Fact: Michigan is famous for its Cherry Blossom Festival
NGT directs States to Establish Nodal Agency for Water Body Protection
The National Green Tribunal has directed all Indian states and UTs to designate a nodal agency to protect their water bodies.
The Nodal Agencies shall hold meetings under the guidance of chief secretaries of the state.
They are also required to adopt a mechanism to monitor and address related grievances.
Quick Fact: The National Green Tribunal was established in 2010.
Malaysia hosts latest APEC Summit
An Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit was recently hosted by Malaysia
Notable events of the summit:
- The APEC Putrajaya Vision 2040 for an open, resilient and peaceful Asia Pacific community by 2040 was adopted.
- The 1994 Bogor Goals were replaced with post 2020 vision
The next APEC meeting will be hosted by New Zealand.
Quick Fact: India is not a full-time member of APEC, but has an observer status.