NTPC and ONGC partners to set up JVC for Renewable Energy
NTPC Limited and ONGC will form a Joint Venture Company for renewable energy business.
This partnership will explore the setting up of offshore wind and other renewable energy projects in India as well as overseas.
It will also explore opportunities in the fields of sustainability, storage, e-mobility, and ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) compliant projects.
Airtel Africa and UNICEF join hands to support COVID-19 affected children and families
The initiative will:
- provide children with access to remote learning by zero-rating selected websites with educational content
- enable access to cash assistance for families through mobile cash transfers
- benefits children and families in 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africa
Quick Fact: As per United Nations, Sub-Saharan Africa consists of all African countries that are fully or partially located south of the Sahara
3.Science and Technology
RNA extraction kit Agappe Chitra Magna launched commercially for COVID-19 detection
Agappe Chitra Magna is a magnetic nanoparticle-based RNA extraction kit used for COVID-19 testing
The kit was developed by Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Trivandrum
The kit can make India self-reliant and more effective in COVID-19 testing
GoI launches 5 initiatives for biodiversity conservation
The initiatives include:
- Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme: Engage students in the postgraduate programme to learn about biodiversity conservation and natural resource management.
- UNEP campaign: Illegal trafficking of endangered species
- Wildlife Crime Control Bureau campaign: Not All Animals Migrate by Choice
- Webinar series on Biodiversity Conservation and Biological Diversity Act, 2002
- World Wildlife Fund Model Conference of Parties
Manipur’s Khudol declared one of Top 10 Global Initiatives to fight COVID-19
Khudol is an initiative by an NGO called Ya_All
The initiative entails ensuring food, health and hygiene of the LGBTQI+ community, people living with HIV, daily-wage earners, children and adolescents.
Ya_All has created a model of an inclusive safe space for transgender returnees.
Quick Fact: Ya_All NGO had also created India’s first transgender football team
States urge expedited notification of Ecologically Sensitive Area for Western Ghats
The discussion is based on the recommendations of a high level working group under Dr Kasturirangan
The committee had identified geographical areas in Western Ghat states that need to be declared as Ecologically Sensitive Areas
Ecologically Sensitive Areas have restrictions on mining, thermal plants, quarrying, construction and setting up of industries.
Quick Fact: The Western Ghats cover areas in Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Goa, Tamil Nadu, and Gujarat.