IP University BJMC is the Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication course, offered by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, popularly known as Indraprastha University or IPU. BJMC IPU has been ranked as one of the best media courses offered in the country by magazines like Outlook. This article will give you an idea about the course structure and the career opportunities offered by BJMC. The admissions to the program are done by conducting an entrance exam known as IPU CET BJMC.
IP University BJMC Course Structure
The main objective of the IP University BJMC Course is to give exposure to the students, introducing them to recent developments and research in the field of media. The course is 3 years long, further divided into six semesters. It is one of the best colleges for students who wish to take up a career in the field of media and journalism. It consists of all important subjects relating to mass media and communication and conducts theoretical as well as practical classes. The following are a few subjects covered by students during the IPU Mass Communication course:
- Media Research
- Communication Research
- Media Ethics
- Radio Journalism
- Design and Graphics
- Information Society
- Fundamentals of Journalism
- Tribal Society
- Public Relations Theory
The IP University BJMC aims at inculcating the following skills in its students:
- Awareness of national and global events
- Critical and Analytical thinking
- Good communication skills
- Working under pressure
- Strong networking skills
- Decision making and problem-solving skills
Apart from the regular college courses, the students are also required to do the following:
- The IP University BJMC Course requires students to undergo training or an internship at a print media institution after the completion of the first year. The duration of the training should be 4 weeks.
- The students of Indraprastha University Mass Communication course, after the completion of the second year of studies, are required to undergo functional exposure training under any advertising, electronic media, or public relations companies. The duration of the training is supposed to be 6 weeks.
- Every student is required to do a project in the final year of the course. The university will assign internal supervisors for each student. He/She should present their projects during the final sixth semester.
IP University BJMC Fee Structure
IP University offers BJMC courses with annual fees of INR 67,000 per year. So, for a three-year BJMC Course, it approximately costs 2.01 Lakhs. Overall it is quite cheap to pursue BJMC from IPU.
IP University BJMC Career Opportunities
The key job responsibilities imparted by the BJMC IP University that anyone in the media industry should fulfil are as follows:
Staying updated about the latest news and do follow up on the developments.
- Gathering of data and interpretation.
- Obtaining first-hand information.
- Uncovering important news through research.
- Interviewing eminent personalities.
- Maintaining the moral code of journalism.
- Writing good articles.
The following are some of the fields that BJMC IP University students can specialize in:
- News Reading
- Print Media writing
- Digital Marketing
- Film making
- Video editing
- Content Writing
- Electronic Media writing
- Radio Jockey
The job prospects of students after completing the BJMC IP University course are given in the table below:
|Journalist||You can either work with an organization or do freelance reporting. Writing skills and editing skills also come into play.||Around 3 lakhs for beginners|
|Public Relations Specialist||The job is to maintain a good relationship between the client and the public or between the employer and the client.||Around 5 lakhs for beginners|
|Media Consultant||The job is to do positive press coverage, reframing public perception.||Around 6 lakhs for beginners|
|Photojournalist||Writing articles and features based on the photographs you have captured.||Around 4 lakhs for beginners|
|Content Marketing Manager||Marketing content implementing creative and comprehensive communication forms.||Around 7 lakhs|
|News Analyst||Producing and publishing news on various media platforms, gathering information from various sources.||Around 7 lakhs for beginners|
|Social Media Manager||Represent an institution or organization on social media, interacting with the audience.||Around 4 lakhs for beginners|
The following media companies usually offer jobs to BJMC IP University graduates:
- Times of India
- Zee News
- India Today
- The Hindu
- The New Indian Express
- News 18
- Star India
- Balaji Telefilms
Hope this article gave you an understanding of the BJMC IP University course structure and the job opportunities it has to offer. The admission to the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Mass Communication program is conducted through the entrance test known as the IPU CET BJMC. If you are interested you can check out the article IPU CET BJMC 2020 Exam Analysis.