IPU CET BJMC 2019 is the entrance exam to the Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication program (BJMC) in GGSIPU, short for Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. It is one of the country’s most respectable, and renowned universities set up by the government of NCT of Delhi. It offers wide ranging courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, Mphil and Phd level. If you are someone who aspires to study in this reputed university, you have to go through either NLT (National Level Test) which is conducted by various authorities, or sit for a CET (Common Entrance Test) which is held for different programmes, and is conducted by the University itself. To secure a seat in one of IP’s colleges which provide Journalism and Mass Communication courses, you need to pass the IPU CET BJMC exam.
The IPU CET BJMC 2019 tested candidates on the following areas:
|Section||Weightage of each section|
|English Language and Comprehension||25%|
For every group of exams, which have a common test syllabi, one CET code is assigned. Since this article discusses the IPU CET BJMC 2019 exam pattern, and the trends in CET exam for admission into Bachelor’s in Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC), we have broadly put the analysis of last three year’s IPU CET BJMC exam analysis in a tabular manner below, so as to help you get a quick understanding of the exam and its history:
|Duration||2.5 Hours||2.5 Hours||2.5 Hours|
|Mode||Offline Mode (Pen – Paper based)||Offline Mode (Pen – Paper based)||Online Computer Based|
|No. of Questions||150||150||100|
|Marking Scheme||+4 for every correct answer, and -1 for every wrong answer||+4 for every correct answer, and -1 for every wrong answer||+4 for every correct answer, and -1 for every wrong answer|
|Overall Difficulty Level||Moderate||Moderate – Difficult||Moderate|
|Timings and Shifts||On 29/04/17||On 29/04/18||On 29/04/19|
Some changes over the years
- The mode of the examination was pen-paper based ever since it started, however due to the Covid-19 pandemic, GGSIPU has decided to hold the examination in an Online computer based mode.
- Till IPU CET BJMC 2019, the total number of questions asked in the exam was 150. However, from this year onwards, the total number of questions has been reduced by 50, i.e, it is now 100 questions.
- The exam will be of 2.5 hours, and the total marks will be 400.
- There are no changes in terms of the syllabus of the examination. There will be 4 sections as per normal, which are General English and Comprehension, General Awareness, Logical and Analytical Ability, and lastly, Media Aptitude related to the field of Media and Journalism Skills. All of the sections will have 25% weightage each.
- The exams get conducted in three shifts.
IPU CET BJMC 2019 Exam Analysis
We hope that you must have gathered some information about the CET exams for BJMC of the past three years. It is time to look closely at IPU CET BJMC 2019 entrance exam and all about it, from the point of view of those who had appeared for the exam to help you gain more information about the previous year’s exam.
Broad highlights of IPU CET BJMC 2019
- The exam was conducted on 29th April 2019, the same date as the previous two years.
- The maximum marks was 400, and the time to complete the exam was 2.5 hours.
- The mode in which the IPU CET BJMC 2019 exam was conducted was online computer based.
- It was found that the difficulty level of the exam was somewhere between moderate to difficult.
1. English Section Analysis
Like most language ability sections in entrances, it was found that IPU CET BJMC 2019 English Language and Comprehension section was doable and scoring. Students found the section to be of easy to moderate difficulty. It was observed that a lot of questions were based on Reading Comprehension checking the level of understanding of the students. A lot of questions were also focused around Grammar and Vocabulary, which was easy to attempt for those who had practised it well. So, if you wish to excel in this section, make sure you brush up your vocabulary and grammar skills. Important topics which came in the exam are given below:
- Reading Comprehension
- Correct usage of verbs
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- One word substitutions
- Phrases and Idioms
- Vocabulary and Grammar, etc.
2. General Awareness Section Analysis
This section is scoring if you prepare current affairs very nicely. IPU CET BJMC 2019 exam section of General Awareness was ranging from moderate to difficult in difficulty level and students were asked questions on the recent happenings of the past. Since this entrance was for admission in BJMC, so news surrounding the latest happenings in the media world, Famous media personalities, etc were important topics around which a lot of questions were framed. To ace in this section make sure you keep yourself abreast with the latest news around the world, and pay attention to the news on the following topics:
- Current Happenings around the world
- Media and Famous Personalities
- Science and Technology
- Awards and Honours
- Sports and Media, etc.
3. Logical Reasoning and Analytical Section Analysis
Although the level of difficulty of this section of the IPU CET BJMC 2019 was moderate, it is advised that you practice logical reasoning questions daily. Everyday practice of important topics like Arrangements, Direction, Coding-Decoding, etc will give you confidence to handle the questions efficiently and accurately. Here is a list of topics that will be coming for the 2020 exam, and that needs special attention and practice by you to get a great score:
- Assumptions and Statements
- Arrangement and Ranking
- Direction and Distance Test
- Venn Diagram
- Number Series,etc.
4. Media Awareness Section Analysis
This section of the IPU CET BJMC 2019 is all about testing the media related knowledge of the exam taker. The questions were of moderate to difficult difficulty level. Questions revolved around topics like Print media, Different types of mass media modes, Basics of Journalism, etc. To prepare for this section, it is best advised to take help of Help books which explain the nuances of the media industry in detail and also provide mock tests with them.
Some of the important areas which should be covered by you for the upcoming exam are given below:
- Basics of Media and Journalism
- Electronic Media and Digitisation
- Radio Industry
- History of Media
- Modes of Mass Communication
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Important media companies and personalities
The entrance exam for IPU CET BJMC has always been somewhere between moderate to difficult in terms of its difficulty level. It mainly wishes to test the media aptitude of the aspirants to check whether they are cut for this dynamic and technical field or not. With thorough preparation methods and with help of our previous year exam analysis, you could ace this exam without any hurdles. Hope this article about IPU CET BJMC 2019 was helpful to you.