IPU CET hotel management course is known as the Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering (BHMCT). The admissions for BHMCT IPU are done through the IPU CET BHMCT, the entrance test for the program offered by the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, more widely known as Indraprastha University. Any student who has completed a 10+2 course with 50% marks and English as a subject is considered eligible to appear for IPU CET BHMCT. The BHMCT IPU entrance exam tests candidates in their knowledge about the English language, general knowledge, reasoning, and domain knowledge. Cracking the exam gets you admitted into the IP University hotel management course.
The primary step of preparing for any exam is choosing the best study material according to the syllabus. This article will give you an idea of what books to use for the preparation of IPU CET hotel management.
IPU CET hotel management syllabus
Before choosing the study materials, it is important to look at the syllabus and pattern of the IPU CET BHMCT to understand what you should be prepared for. The following are the four sections if the IPU CET hotel management question paper:
- English Language and Comprehension
- Logical and Analytical Ability including Computer awareness
- General Awareness
- Knowledge of accounts/ commerce and science
30% of the total questions are from the section Logical and Analytical Ability. This section also includes basic computer knowledge. The sections Knowledge of accounts/ commerce and science, as well as English Language and Comprehension each, lend 25% of the total questions. The rest 20% of the questions are from the section General Awareness.
IPU CET BHMCT: Best Books for Reference
While choosing books and study materials for the preparation of IPU CET hotel management, it is important to look for texts that are published based on the updated syllabus of the exam. This makes the preparation process very efficient. NCERT textbooks for classes 11 and 12 are very helpful in preparing for the IPU CET BHMCT since a lot of the questions test your basic knowledge in subjects that you’ve studied in school. Given below are the different sections of the question paper and the best books that can be used for reference while preparing for them.
1. English Language and Comprehension
This is the section in IPU CET BHMCT where you can score the most. Revise all grammar concepts you learned in school and keep reading extra books when you have time to get acquainted with how the language is used. You can also use the following books:
- Objective General English by S.P. Bakshi
- Pearson’s English
- Arihant General English for all Competitive Examinations by Hari Mohan Prashad
- English- From Plinth to Paramount by Neetu Singh
- High School English Grammar & Composition Revised Edition by Wren and Martin
2. Logical and Analytical Ability including Computer awareness
The two important concerns when it comes to this section of the IPU CET hotel management exam are the number of questions you get right and the time you take to answer them. To prepare for this section, refresh your memory on the basic concepts of math you learned in school. You would also have to constantly practice solving questions to improve your speed. Try to understand the different ways a single question can be asked. Try to create basic computer awareness since questions are asked from this topic too. You can use the following books for preparations:
- 10 and 11 NCERT Math textbooks
- Basic Computer Awareness by Arihant
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal
- 30 Days Wonder Maths by S Chand
- Verbal Reasoning Book by RS Agarwal
- 501 Challenging Logical reasoning Practice Book
- A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal and Non-Verbal by B.S. Sijwali and Indu Sijwali
- Quantitative Aptitude by NK Singh
- Quantitative Aptitude by Arihant
3. General Awareness
For this section of the IPU CET hotel management exam, make sure that you know what is going on in the world. Read newspapers daily and stay updated on events around the world. You can also subscribe to internet quizzing apps or sites so that you can learn wherever you are, whether you have a book or not. Make use of good studying guides like the following:
- Manorama Yearbook
- Pratiyogita Darpan
- Lucent’s GK
- Pearson India Yearbook
- Arihant General Knowledge
- General Awareness by Manohar Panday
4. Knowledge of accounts/ commerce and science
The questions that appear in this section are based on the basic theories and knowledge in commerce and accounting. Students who took up the commerce stream in their 11th and 12th may find this section easy, as they would have studied all the concepts there. The books you can refer to for this section are:
- NCERT commerce and accounting textbooks of classes 11th and 12th.
- Basic of Accounting by Arihant
Also, make sure to take IPU CET BHMCT mock tests and also look through the previous year’s question papers. Once you’re done, you are good to go for IPU CET hotel management. If you are interested check out the BHMCT IPU Entrance Exam Preparation Strategy.