On this day:
1959: The first microchip is patented. For his invention of the integrated circuit, Jack Kilby was awarded the 2000 Nobel Prize in Physics.
1952: Elizabeth II becomes Queen of the United Kingdom. She succeeded her father, George VI, who died that day. She still continues to reign.
Born on this day:
1945: Bob Marley, Jamaican/American singer-songwriter, guitarist
1911: Ronald Reagan, American actor, politician, 40th President of the United States
Gone on this day:
1804: Joseph Priestley, English chemist, minister and philosopher who discovered Oxygen.
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz