On this day:
1879: Sandford Fleming proposes the use of time zones. The later introduction of Universal Standard Time, which is based on time zones, revolutionized timekeeping.
Born on this day:
1834: Dmitri Mendeleev, Russian chemist and inventor who devised the periodic table of the elements was born in Tobolsk, Russia.
Gone on this day:
1957: John von Neumann was a Hungarian-American mathematician, physicist, computer scientist, and polymath. Regarded as the last representative of the great mathematicians who integrated both pure and applied sciences.
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz