On this day:
1991: “Operation Desert Storm”, launched in response to Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait which ultimately resulted in about 100,000 civilian deaths.
1946: The UN Security Council holds its first session The UNSC is the most powerful organ of the United Nations and it is charged with upholding international peace and security.
Born on this day:
1942: Muhammad Ali, American boxer
1706: Benjamin Franklin: American politician, scientist, publisher, who helped draft the declaration of independence of the US
Gone on this day:
1961: Patrice Lumumba: Congolese politician, 1st Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz