On this day:
1905: On what was later known as Bloody Sunday, Russian workers marching on St. Petersburg were fired on by Russian troops.
1970: The Boeing 747 takes off on its first scheduled flight from New York to London.
Born on this day:
1909: U Thant: Burmese diplomat, 3rd United Nations Secretary-General
1788: Lord Byron: English poet
Gone on this day:
2008: Heath Ledger: Australian actor, director, known for playing the iconic role of Joker in The Dark Knight
1901: Queen Victoria—who reigned for more than 60 years, during which time the British Empire reached the apex of its power
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz