On this day:
1950: Israel claims Jerusalem as its capital. Despite international protests, the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) passed a resolution stating that the divided city will be the country’s capital.
1556: Shaanxi Earthquake – deadliest ever recorded kills 830,000 in Shensi Province, China
1978: Sweden becomes the first nation in the world to ban aerosol sprays (containing CFCs), believed to be damaging to the earth’s ozone layer.
Born on this day:
1897: Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: Indian politician, activist, founded the INA
1926: Bal Thackeray Indian politician, founder of Shiv Sena
Gone on this day:
1989: Salvador Dalí: Spanish painter
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz