On this day:
1971: Idi Amin seizes power in Uganda. The dictator’s rule (1971 – 1979) was characterized by human right abuse, political repression, and corruption.
1919: The League of Nations is founded. It was the predecessor of the United Nations and the first international organization devoted to maintaining world peace.
Born on this day:
1882: Virginia Woolf: English author, Feminist
1933: Corazon Aquino: Filipino politician, 11th President of the Philippines
Gone on this day:
1954: M. N. Roy: Indian revolutionary, radical activist and political theorist. Founder of the Mexican Communist Party and the Communist Party of India.
1947: Al Capone: American gangster
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz