On this day:
1950: India became a republic. The Constitution of India came into effect that day.
2001: A massive earthquake hit Gujarat, India. About 20,000 people died and over 160,000 people were injured.
Born on this day:
1958: Ellen DeGeneres: American comedian, actress, talk show host
1880: Douglas MacArthur, the U.S. general who commanded the Southwest Pacific Theatre in World War II, and led United Nations forces during the first nine months of the Korean War, was born.
Gone on this day:
1979: Nelson Rockefeller: American politician, 41st Vice President of the United States
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz