On this day:
1991: The first Gulf War ends The armed conflict had lasted a little over half a year and claimed over 100,000 civilian casualties.
1935: Nylon is invented Wallace Carothers first produced the polymer at the DuPont Experimental Station in Wilmington, Delaware, United States.
Born on this day:
1953: Paul Krugman: American economist, Nobel Prize laureate
1901: Linus Pauling: American chemist, activist, Nobel Prize laureate
Gone on this day:
1986: Olof Palme was assassinated. Olof Palme, the internationally prominent prime minister of Sweden (1969–76, 1982–86) whose strong pacifist beliefs included opposition to the Vietnam War, was assassinated this day in Stockholm in 1986.
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz