Bachelors of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC) is an undergraduate course that imparts knowledge about the media industry. With this course, an individual gets the knowledge of journalism and various mass communication channels like newspapers, radios, magazines, and more. Like any other bachelor’s degree, the BJMC course is also a three-year course.
Any individual having a BJMC degree is supposed to have a good hold on writing and reporting services of any event. The students who are aspiring for this course must have good writing and editing skills. With this article, we have mentioned every detail about the BJMC course and what are the career prospects of this course.
BJMC course Details
|Course Name (BJMC Full form)||Bachelors of Journalism and Mass Communication|
|Duration||3-years Under graduation course|
|Minimum Academic requirement||10+2|
|Minimum Marks Requirement||50% or more|
|Course fee on Annual Basis||INR 30,000-2,75,000|
|Average Initial Salary package||INR 1,50,000-6,00,000|
|Selection Process||Entrance Test or Merit-based|
|Employment Areas||Government or private jobs. TV Channels, Radios, Newspaper, Video Jockey, etc.|
|Syllabus Subjects||1. Fundamentals of Communication skills,|
2. History of MediaEditing Practical
3. Fundamentals of Computers
4. Fundamentals of Journalism
5. Writing for Media Theory
6. Editing theory
7. Radio Broadcasting theory
8. Public Relations Theory
9. Advertising Theory & Practical
10. TV Broadcasting Theory and Practical
11. Photojournalism theory and practical
12. Environment and Media
13. Advanced media Research
14. Media Law and Ethics
15. Internet and New media theory
16. Basic media research
17. Magazine Journalism Theory and Practical
18. Public Relations Practical
Eligibility Criteria for BJMC
The eligibility criteria for the BJMC course are as follows:
1. The minimum age requirement for the admission of BJMC is 17 years.
2. The minimum qualification required is 10+2 in any stream/field.
3. The minimum qualifying marks required is 50%-60%. However, it varies from college to college.
Admission Details and Procedure
Every year, BJMC admission takes place. However, the admission process varies from college to college. Many colleges offer this course to candidates. It includes:
5. Jamia Milia
8. Institute of Management Studies
10. Christ University, and more.
The number of colleges and universities is endless in India. However, one should take admission to the top colleges for better career opportunities. Apart from this, the admission process for every college is different. The concerned application fee will also be different for every college. But common admission process includes the following:
1. Application for every college can only be done through online mode. However, the application fee is different as per college.
2. Many colleges take their entrance test for admission in BJMC courses. The syllabus can be different for all entrance tests. While some colleges take direct admission which means that based on 12th standard marks, a candidate can get admission in this course.
3. The selection process of the BJMC can be different. Many colleges take only an entrance test and then cut-offs are released for admission. While some conduct a personal interview and micro presentation round after the entrance test. Therefore, one may have to clear three rounds in some colleges.
Placement and Salary Prospects
The career prospects in the BJMC course are vast. A candidate can get both government and private jobs in the media industry. Those who want to pursue a master’s course in this field can pursue post-graduation in journalism and mass communication.
After this course completion, the candidate can get exposure in the areas of Radio Telecasting, Journals, TV channels, Legal Affairs, News and Advertising agencies, Broadcasting, newspapers, and All India Radio. The job profiles that are offered in this field include:
1. Radio Jockey
2. Video Jockey
3. Feature Writer
4. Freelancer writer
6. News Analyst
7. Special correspondent
8. TV Correspondent
9. Fashion Photographer
However, the job roles vary from company to company.
Now, when the salary packages are concerned for the above-listed job profiles, they can vary as per the recruiting company. However, the average salary package that is offered is as follows:
• Journalist- INR 3.5 lakhs
• Media Consultant- INR 6.2 lakhs
• Photojournalist- INR 3.5 lakhs
• News Analyst- INR 6.8 lakhs
• Social Media Manager- INR 3.5 lakhs
• Public Relations Specialist- INR 5.6 lakhs
BJMC courses are a good way for starting a career in the media industry. The media industry today is growing at a rapid speed. Various job profiles are well-reputed and have good salary packages. However, the initial package can be a little low for some candidates. But with time, a candidate will get a promotion and the salary packages can increase. Therefore, a candidate should do the BJMC course from a top college. The relevance of a top college is analyzed when a candidate gets exposure to opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
More Articles on BJMC:
- BJMC Course | Placements & Career Prospects
- How to Prepare for Media Aptitude for BJMC Entrance Exams? Book List & Strategy
- Major Mass Communication Entrance Exams | All you need to know
- How to crack any BJMC Entrance Exam in 30 days | Preparation Strategy
- IPU CET BJMC | IP University Mass Communication