On this day:
1938: The world’s fastest steam locomotive, The Mallard is built. It could reach a speed of over 100 miles per hour (160 km/h).
1924: The last remnant of the Ottoman empire in Turkey is abolished. The end of the Islamic caliphate marked the demise of the 600-year old empire and gave way to the formation of a reformed Turkey under Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.
Born on this day:
1977: Ronan Keating: Irish singer-songwriter, actor
1847: Alexander Graham Bell: Scottish/American engineer, invented the Telephone
Gone on this day:
1707: Aurangzeb: Mughal emperor
More GK & Current Affairs Resources:
- Attempt today’s Daily GK Quiz
- Read today’s Daily Current Affairs Update
- Attempt topicwise General Knowledge Practice Quiz
- Download Monthly Current Affairs Compilations
- Read about this month’s Important Days
- Revise your General Knowledge with Weekly GK Revision Quiz