IPU CET BCom is the entrance exam for the BCom Honours course offered by the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. Admission to the course will be on the basis of merit of the IP-CET or IPU Common Entrance Test. There is no such specialization offered in this course and the eligibility is 50% in 12th standard. The exam pattern along with preparation strategies is given below.
IPU CET BCom Exam Pattern
The CET will comprise 150 MCQ based questions to be completed in 150 minutes or 2.5 hours. For every correct answer you will get 4 marks while 1 mark would be deducted for every incorrect answer. There will be 4 sections of the IPU CET BCom. These are as follows.
Overall preparation strategy
The foremost task is to look into the syllabus and exam pattern to plan out your exam preparation accordingly. Look at the following basic preparation tips to crack the IPU CET BCom.
1. Focus more on data interpretation
Maximum questions are usually asked from DI section and hence scoring well in this section is crucial for scoring a good rank in the IPU CET BCom. Focus on solving questions of DI like graphs based questions, averages , percentages and ratio based questions. Keeping 2 hours daily to solve and learn the techniques of data interpretation will be sufficient for you.
2. Plan your study plan in an efficient manner
Planning your study plan is essential for cracking the CET. Since there are 4 sections and you need to focus more on data interpretation, try to plan out your study schedule in such a way that you practice two sections every day. Do one hour of general awareness followed by 2 hours of data interpretation. On the other day do 2 hours each of English and logical reasoning.
3. Solve sample papers and assess yourself
Solving sample papers is crucial for knowing your preparation level. Try to solve as many sample papers as possible 15 days prior to the exam atleast. Work on your weak areas. You can solve the Arihant book on IPU CET BCom guide.
Section-wise preparation strategy
1. Data interpretation
This section of the IPU CET BCom contains 35% of weightage which is maximum out of all the sections. Maximum number of questions will be asked from this section. This section involves a lot of calculations and moderate level of difficulty, hence it must be done with precision.
- Some questions will require more calculations, some will require your observation skills while some questions will be puzzle-like. It is advised that you go through any basic data interpretation book and solve the different types of questions.
- Do not waste your time in doing hard questions. Do those that you feel are easy to solve quickly. Read every line before arriving at a solution.
- Some important topics are pie chart based, column graph based, line and bar graph based questions. You just need to practice more questions to get accustomed to the whole variety of questions that may come in this section.
- Data interpretation by Arun Sharma
- Data interpretation and data sufficiency by Arihant
- Data interpretation by Nishit K Sinha
2. English language
This section of the IPU CET BCom is of 25% consisting of questions testing your grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension skills.
- Focus on developing and improving your vocabulary of new words along with their meanings.
- Read newspapers, articles, magazines daily to improve your vocabulary. You must practice grammar from basic books.
- The questions asked are easy to moderate level so do not stress much and instead practice comprehension passages, grammar, etc.
- Wren and Martin grammar
- Reading comprehension by Arun Sharma
- Pearson’s guide to verbal ability by Nishit Sinha
3. Logical Reasoning
This section of the IPU CET BCom again consists of 25% of the total CET. A good amount of practice and your common sense will help you in doing this section well.
- Practice logical reasoning questions from a good book. Try to solve and make a list of techniques used for quickly solving such questions.
- Some important topics are series, blood relations, seating arrangements, coding-decoding, series, etc.
- Logical and analytical reasoning by K Gupta
- New approaches to reasoning by Sijwali
- Logical reasoning by RS Aggarwal
4. General awareness
This section of the IPU CET BCom has about 15% of the weightage which is a good thing I would say. Mostly the syllabus of general awareness is vast, and it requires a lot of studying and learning things. So daily one hour studying and practice of current affairs and general awareness is enough to crack this portion.
- Read newspapers like The Hindu, Statesman, Economic Times and Indian Express to read daily news. Make notes of any important topics and revise them daily.
- You can even read the current affairs available online for IAS aspirants. Make sure to read commerce and economics news as well as your entrance is of B.Com.
- Don’t forget to learn the static portion of GK from a good GK book.
- Practice GK questions daily from Eazyprep!
- Lucent’s GK
- Pearson guide to general awareness
- Magazines and Newspapers
I hope these tips serve you well enough for your preparations for cracking the IPU CET BCom Entrance exam. You can also read up about the 2019 IPU CET BCom exam here. All the best!