Let’s talk about DU JAT Exam Analysis because behind every successful examination lies intensive and careful analysis and preparation. While it is important to read about strategies to ace examinations, it is equally important to analyze and educate ourselves about the previous year exam analysis, so as to get a good grip on the type of exam and what can be expected. This helps us prepare according to the new changes and development and also gives us a fair idea about the examination as a whole.
DU JAT, short for Delhi University Joint Admission Test which is a pan India entrance exam conducted by the University of Delhi for admissions into Management courses like BMS, BBA, BA(H) in Business Economics into its affiliated colleges. The exam has been conducted by Delhi University for years, but since 2019, it has been shared by the NTA (National Testing Agency). The syllabus and the pattern of the entrance has retained its original form with some basic changes that have been observed. Some key changes from previous years have been given in the tabular manner below to help students analyse the exam changes in a go:
|Changes (If any)||2017||2018||2019|
|Duration||2 Hours||2 Hours||2 Hours|
|Mode||Online Computer Based||Online Computer Based||Online Computer Based|
|No. of Questions||100||100||100|
|Sections (Broadly)||4 (Logical Reasoning section divided into two parts)||4 (Logical Reasoning section divided into two parts)||4 (No sections per se, the questions were jumbled)|
|Marking Scheme||+4 for every correct answer, and -1 for every wrong answer||+4 for every correct answer, and -1 for every wrong answer||+4 for every correct answer, and -1 for every wrong answer|
|Overall Difficulty Level||Moderate||Moderate – Difficult||Moderate – Difficult|
|Timings and Shifts||On 09/07/17From 12pm – 2pm||On 22/06/18Slot 1: From 8am – 10amSlot 2: From 12pm – 2pm||On 06/06/19Slot 1: From 12pm – 2pmSlot 2: From 4pm – 6pm|
Some basic changes over the years
- DU JAT is now conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency). They have taken the onus to hold the examination with the help of the University of Delhi since 2019.
- The mode of entrance has been changed from pen-paper method to online computer based method since 2016.
- As per DU JAT paper pattern, even though there are four main sections on which the students are tested, i.e English, Quantitative Ability, Logical Reasoning and Analysis and Business and General Affairs, it is observed that the exams can have any of these sections subdivided into two parts. It is noted that Logical Reasoning has been having two sections since 2018.
- The marking scheme in the DU JAT pattern has also gone through a change since 2016. Earlier each correct answer fetched a student +3 marks, and each incorrect attempt took away 33% of the correct answer, i.e -1. Now, every correct answer gets +4 marks and every incorrect answer deducts 25% of the correct attempt, i.e +1 marks.
Explore the strategy used by previous year toppers by clicking here.
DU JAT Exam Analysis 2019
Now that you have some idea about the past three years’ pattern of the exam, it is important to shed some light on the previous year’s exam paper and what all was observed by students as well as exam analysts about the same.
DU JAT Exam Analysis: Broad highlights
- The exam was conducted on 6th June 2019, in two slots according to the different courses. The exam will be marked by making sure that equality is maintained between the correction of answers of the two slots.
- The Logical reasoning section was divided into two subsections.
- The maximum marks was 400, and the time to complete the exam was 2 hours.
- The mode in which the exam was conducted was online computer based and the students were allowed to use simple calculators.
- It was found that the difficulty level of the exam was somewhere between moderate to difficult. Students noted that the Quantitative section had some challenging questions, while English was easy to attempt.
- As a change, it was found that there was no direct sectioning of the paper, but rather questions were given in a shuffled manner.
Don’t miss out on reading the difficulty level of the exam. Click here to read about it.
DU JAT Exam Analysis: General English section
While the other sections might make students nervous due to their difficulty levels and technicality, English section is always a sigh of relief for the students. 2019’s English section was found to be easy by the students, with simple questions ranging from one reading comprehension which was easily understandable, and several questions on synonyms and vocabulary which students had been using in their ordinary parlance. Students who have a good grasp on the language and have practiced the subject nicely are confident about their attempts and expected a good score in this section. The following table gives an idea of topics and the number of questions which were found in 2019’s paper:
|Topics||No. of Questions that came|
|Synonyms and Antonyms||5|
|Fill in the blanks||4|
DU JAT Preparation Tips: Students are advised to practice reading comprehension as well as their vocabulary regularly as they hold the maximum weightage in the exam. English section is very easy to score if studied nicely. So, make sure you don’t miss out on the English preparation!
DU JAT Exam Analysis: Quantitative Aptitude Section
The mathematical section was found to be of moderate-difficult level. Students observed that a lot of questions were asked from class 11th-12th level maths. While some who have a better practice of the subject found it moderate to attempt, there were others who struggled with the same questions and found the questions to be a bit tricky and time taking. Overall the pattern was similar to last year’s paper. Following table shows the marks distribution:
|Topics||No. of Questions that came|
|Geometry and Mensuration||3|
DU JAT Preparation Tips: Since it is observed that the level of mathematical questions asked in the exam is from standard 11th-12th, students should make sure that they have brushed up their maths skills by practising maths from their school textbooks, as well as several preparation books for added confidence in the subject.
DU JAT Exam Analysis: Logical Reasoning Section
Like previous years, this section was easy to attempt. The maximum questions were asked from arrangement type questions, as well as coding. The following gives an idea of the no. of questions and topics that came in this section:
|Topics||No. of Questions that came|
|Coding and Decoding||4|
DU JAT Exam Analysis: Business and General Aptitude Section
Those who read the current affairs and news from the business domain carefully and revised it daily found this section to be easy. A lot of questions were framed around what happened in the month of May 2019, and ones prior to it. Even the questions related to business knowledge were found to be doable.
To read upon more of the important topics covered in the exam, click here.
DU JAT Preparation Tips: To excel in this section, make sure to be updated with current affairs daily, as any of them can be asked in the exam.
So, there you go. This was the DU JAT Exam Analysis for the last three years, with special focus on 2019’s exam. The entrance has always been of moderate to difficult level and the cut-offs for the colleges have been based on the performance of students, which has gone from 220- 255+ in the previous years. With efficient and smart methods, everyone can ace this exam and land a seat in one of the best Delhi University Management colleges.
Click Here to download DU JAT Previous Year Papers!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
More Articles on DU JAT
- DU JAT Preparation Strategy | Section-wise Strategy
- DU JAT Preparation In 30 Days | Preparation Tips
- DU JAT Preparation Tips | Book List, Courses & Mock Tests
- DU JAT Preparation for Beginners | Steps & Study Material
- Business Awareness for DU JAT | How to Prepare?
- Preparing for DU JAT Verbal Ability Section