DU JAT verbal ability is an inevitable part of the entrance exam to the business schools under Delhi University. DU Admissions are done based on the Delhi University Joint Admission Test or the DU JAT conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for the programs such as Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS), Bachelor of Business Administration (Financial Investment Analysis) and BA (Hons) in Business Economics. There are 4 sections in the question paper, each containing 25 questions and the section General English which requires the use of basic grammar concepts you learnt in school is an important one among them. The questions are of low difficulty. The General English section assesses a candidate’s skill in the vocabulary, grammar, ability to comprehend a given set of data etc. This article will give you an idea about the DU JAT verbal ability and the various tips to keep in mind to crack the exam.
Syllabus of DU JAT verbal ability
The different subjects included in the section of DU JAT verbal ability are:
- Reading Comprehension
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Fill in the Blanks
- One-word Substitutions
- Correct usage of verbs
- Idioms and Phrases
- Proverbs and Prepositions
- Parts of Speech
Topic-wise Weightage to Quantitative Ability
Maths for DU JAT can be analyzed based on topic-wise weightage. Given below is the analysis based on the 2020 DU JAT:
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|Synonyms and Antonyms||8|
|Idioms and Phrasal verbs||8|
|Fill in the blanks||1|
Preparations Tips for DU JAT verbal ability
Given below are a few tips for preparing for the section DU JAT verbal ability:
- Practice speed reading as sometimes passages tend to be long. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time.
- Practice Reading Comprehension as it is always asked. When preparing for Reading Comprehension passages, your goal must be to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph.
- In grammar, focus on common colloquial mistakes, as they tend to be the most overlooked ones.
- Keep reading regularly. A regular reading habit will go a long way in honing your grammatical and comprehension skill. Aspirants should take up writing tasks regularly and assess their performance to improve grammar. It will also help in building up your vocab gradually.
- Group your general awareness prep with English by reading newspapers every day.
- Candidates can use previous year question papers to know question patterns.
- Engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve a particular topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you will then want to practice with questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.
- Make a list of difficult words and stick them on the wall to remember them. That way, you can refresh your memory whenever your eyes fall on them during the day.
- Group words in categories to remember their meanings.
- Use practice papers to time yourself and check if this is the section you want to do first, last, or in the middle, whatever works for you.
- Know the syllabus and the level asked. Do not over-prepare, especially if the grammar is your weak area.
- Select your strength topics and your weak ones. See how you can develop both.
Best Study Materials
Given below are the best books to refer to while preparing for DU JAT verbal ability:
- High School English Grammar & Composition Revised Edition by Wren and Martin
- Objective General English by S.P. Bakshi
- Pearson’s English
- Arihant General English for all Competitive Examinations by Hari Mohan Prashad
- English – From Plinth to Paramount (Vol-1 and 2) by Neetu Singh
Given above are all the details regarding the DU JAT section of General English. Constant practice and extra reading are the most important steps in preparing for this section. Hope this article helped you in understanding the different tips and methods of preparing for the section of DU JAT verbal ability. Click here to read the analysis of the question papers the DU JAT exam conducted in the previous years.