Maths for DU JAT is an inevitable part of the entrance exam to the business schools under Delhi University. DU Admissions are done based on the Delhi University Joint Admission Test or the DU JAT conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for the programs such as Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS), Bachelor of Business Administration (Financial Investment Analysis) and BA (Hons) in Business Economics. There are 4 sections in the question paper, each containing 25 questions and the section quantitative ability which requires the use of maths formulae you learnt in school is an important one among them. The questions are of moderate difficulty. The Quantitative Ability section assesses a candidate’s skill in the calculation, basic mathematics, ability to comprehend a given set of data etc. This article will give you an idea about the Maths for DU JAT and the various tips to keep in mind to crack the exam.
Syllabus of Maths for DU JAT
The different subjects included in the section of Maths for DU JAT are:
- Averages and percentages
- Profit & Loss
- Ratio & Proportion
- Mixtures & Allegations
- Simple & Compound Interest
- Algebraic Formulae
- Linear & Quadratic Equations
- Roots, Indices, Surds
- Geometry: Lines, Angles & Triangles, Polygons
- Circles & Mensuration
- Time, Speed & Distance
- Pipes & Cisterns
- Permutations & Combinations
- Work-Related Problems
- Integration and Differentiation
Topic-wise Weightage to Quantitative Ability
Maths for DU JAT can be analyzed based on topic-wise weightage. Given below is the analysis based on the 2020 DU JAT:
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|Sequence and Series||1|
|Differentiation and its Applications||4|
|Time and Work||1|
|Geometry and Mensuration||4|
|Probability and Permutation||2|
Preparations Tips for Maths for DU JAT
Given below are a few tips for preparing for the section Maths for DU JAT:
Before getting into the different tips and tricks, you have to understand that you have to be prepared in the two different levels of Maths for DU JAT. They are:
Lower Level Maths: This is the NCERT class 10th level of mathematics which includes topics like:
- Number System
- Geometry, Coordinate Geometry and Mensuration
- Linear inequalities
- Sequence and Series
- Set theory & Venn Diagrams
Higher Level Maths: Maths topics greater than board-level like:
- Matrices & Determinants
- Relations and functions
- Limits & Calculus
- Vectors & 3D
- Permutations & Combinations
- Complex Numbers
Tips to keep in mind while preparing for Maths for DU JAT
1) Practice a lot. Aspirants should make it a habit to practice Quantitative questions for at least 2 hours a day and cover every single topic in the syllabus.
2) For higher maths, concentrate on formulae. Candidates should brush up the fundamentals to develop the required competence.
3) Create shortcuts and your formulae to solve questions quickly.
4) Candidates can use previous year question papers to know question patterns.
5) Use practice papers to time yourself and check if this is the section you want to do first, last, or in the middle, whatever works for you.
6) Know the syllabus and the level asked. Do not over-prepare, especially if maths is your weak area.
7) Select your strength topics and your weak ones. See how you can develop both.
8) Write important formulae and stick it on a wall where they are most visible so that you can keep refreshing them in your mind.
Best Study Materials
Given below are the best books to refer to while preparing for Maths for DU JAT:
- NCERT Maths 11th and 12th textbooks
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha-McGraw-Hill Education
- The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by Dinesh Khattar
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal
- 30 Days Wonder Maths by S Chand
- Quantitative Aptitude by NK Singh
- Quantitative Aptitude by Arihant
Given above are all the details regarding the DU JAT section of Quantitative Ability. Constant practice and understanding formulae are the two important steps in preparing for this section, which contains a 25% weightage in marks of the entire exam. Hope this article helped you in understanding the different tips and methods of preparing for the section of Maths for DU JAT. Click here to read the analysis of previous year question papers.