NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 is the entrance test to the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, or simply NMIMS university. It conducts a national level exam called NPAT every year, to admit students into its various undergraduate as well as integrated courses. This article is going to help students like you, who wish to be a part of this university and enter into the world of management.
NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 like every year’s NMIMS NPAT exam had two papers, Paper-1 and Paper-2, where Paper-1 is common for all courses like BBA, B.com (H), Bsc. Finance, etc, and Paper-2 is for engineering courses like Bachelors in Design, etc. Since, this article is focusing on the NPAT exam for admission into Management course, i.e BBA, we have tried to analyse last three year’s entrance exams for you, so that you can secure a seat in your desired NMIMS institute. Given below is a table giving a brief yearly analysis of the NPAT exam from 2017 to 2019, to help you understand all the changes and similarities and plan your preparation strategy better.
|Duration||2 Hours||2 Hours||1 Hour 40 Minutes|
|Mode||Online Computer Based||Online Computer Based||Online Computer Based|
|No. of Questions||120||120||120|
|Marking Scheme||+1 for correct answer, no negative marking||+1 for correct answer, no negative marking||+1 for correct answer, no negative marking|
|Overall Difficulty Level||Moderate||Moderate – Difficult||Moderate – Difficult|
|Timings and Shifts||On 13/06/17 and 14/06/2017||On 12/06/18 and 13/06/18||On 11/06/19 and 12/06/19|
Some changes over the years
- The mode of examination was online computer based as usual.
- Till NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019, the total time for the exam was 2 hours. However, from 2019 onwards, the total time has been reduced by 20 minutes, i.e, it is now 1 hour and 40 minutes long.
- Students will need to complete 120 Questions in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- There are no changes in terms of the syllabus of the examination. There will be 3 sections as per normal, which are General English and Comprehension, Quantitative and Numerical Ability, and lastly, Reasoning and General Intelligence . All of the sections will have equal weightage each, and each contain 40 marks.
- There is no negative marking.
- All the questions will be Objective (MQC) type.
NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 Paper-1 Analysis
By now you must have had some idea about how the NMIMS university has been conducting its yearly entrances into different courses to its colleges. Over the years it has been noticed that the syllabus of the year has remained same, with difficulty levels also being the same almost every year, however the NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 did have some changes, which can be broadly seen below in a detailed analysis of the previous year’s exam.
Broad Highlights of NMIMS NPAT 2019 Analysis
- Paper-1 exam which is common to all courses was conducted on 11th June 2019.
- The time to complete the exam was reduced from 2 hours to 1 hour and 40 minutes which left the students struggling to complete the paper well on time.
- The maximum marks for the exam was 120, and 120 questions needed to be done. There was no negative marking for the wrong attempts.
- The NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 was Objective type.
- The exam difficulty was found to be moderate but students did encounter some questions in the Quantitative section to be time consuming and tricky.
1. English Section Analysis
This section of the NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 was a shocker to students as unlike the usual level of English section, 2019’s English section was a bit challenging. It tested students’ knowledge and understanding of grammar and its rules and syntaxes which students tend to miss while preparing for the exam, by covering only the basics and not going into a deeper understanding of things. Given below is a list if important topics that should be practised by you for this section:
- Short Reading Comprehension
- Grammar structure and usage
- Fill in the blanks
- Tone of passage
- Para-jumbled sentences
- Preposition, Determiners, and Connectives, etc.
- Error Detection
Pro Tip: To score a good number in this section, always remember to read and analyse all grammar related rules, and brush up your vocabulary as a lot of questions are based on that as well.
2. Quantitative and Numerical Ability Section Analysis
While the section of the NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 was just like the previous year’s in its difficulty level, students found that while the overall section was found to be moderate level, there were few questions in the section which were hard to do, and posed a challenge for the students. Rest, of the section had moderate levels of questions from a lot of topics from higher secondary classes. Some important topics that you cannot miss while preparing for the 2020’s exam are as follows:
- Simple and Compound interest
- Time and Work
- Profit and Loss
- Time, Speed and Distance
- Series and Sequences
- Coordinate Geometry
- Quadratic Equation
- Functions, etc.
Pro Tip: Students should practice the Quantitative section from their school maths books from classes 10th-12th, as most of the syllabus is from these grades.For enhancing your skills and efficiency further, try to practice as many Mock Tests as possible. This will give you an added confidence to tackle the difficult questions!
3. Logical Reasoning Section Analysis
The logical reasoning section of the NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 was moderate in the difficulty level. Students noted that some questions of this section were more time taking than the others. To avoid such situations for your exam, we would suggest you practice questions on topics that require time in completion like series, arrangements, syllogism, etc. Here are some important topics to be covered for the exam, as a lot of questions were found in the 2019 from these:
- Data Interpretation
- Statements and Assumptions
- Venn Diagrams
- Odd-one out
- Inequality, etc.
NMIMS NPAT exams are always of the same level, i.e of a moderate difficulty. However, they do try to mix some tricky questions in the middle to test the caliber of the students for limited seats into their colleges. We hope the above analysis of NMIMS NPAT Exam 2019 helps you, and makes you understand your current preparation and motivates you to work even harder and excel in the upcoming entrance exam. Click here to know the best preparation strategy for the exam. All the best!